Monday, April 1, 2013

and today... originally posted to Facebook

Day 6

Good morning! Four more glorious hours of depth yesterday. Got out for a while to enjoy the lovely day and marveled at the beauty of tree branches, and the volume of space between trees. Buildings seem taller, trees seem taller, but power lines seem to hang lower and more ghastly than before. The sensation of people standing distinct from the background reminds me a little bit of a video game - when you're used to 2d platformers, then getting into your first 3d environment like Grand Theft Auto, which I've played for a total of like 10 minutes, but I remember marveling at how each individual person was their own entity, not just decoration on the background, but somehow more distinct. I'm not really a gamer but I keep saying things like reality is the ultimate 3d simulation. So dumb, but the language is limited.

I don't have a lot of new discoveries from yesterday, just building upon what I knew before, and in the hours between depth I'm trying to relax and remember what it was like. I did not sleep well last night, so I wonder if I am rested enough today to have it come back during what appear to be the golden hours of 10am to 2pm. But in general what I really marvel at is the fact that I'm surrounded by the same stuff as ever, the world is the same world as it was last tuesday, but I have the blessing and opportunity to see it all so differently. Something new and marvelous has been added to the world that I knew, making it again magical and amazing to behold. This is not an exaggeration.

 My eye is a little less red today, and discomfort has decreased to the level of "contact lens in too long". My energy, despite a lousy sleep night, is starting to come back and I am antsy to exercise. But I am home again today because my eyes do still get tired very easily and I cannot read for very long. I am observing also that my nastygmus - the involuntary jittering of the eyes, is absolutely more stable now. That too is miraculous. I'm a lucky guy. I hope everyone gets to have an experience so amazing.

My single biggest bit of advice from this experience - ALWAYS GET A SECOND OPINION. Doctors are generally well-trained and capable, but are as subject to bias as anyone else. Don't let one person, however knowledgeable and pedigreed, steer critical decisions of your health and well-being. After many years of my eye doctors telling me there was nothing they could do for me, I even DID get a second opinion by going to Mass Eye & Ear in the 90's, and they said I was fine with my other doctor. But thanks to Sue Barry, author of "Fixing My Gaze", for reigniting my curiosity of how I could change my situation, and for MERSI (mersi.com) for their optimism and enthusiasm toward treatments. Have a great day everyone. Hopefully there will be more new observations tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment